- Anti-Aging Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Implants
- Tooth Whitening
- Full-Mouth Reconstruction
- Hi-Tech Dentistry
- One-Visit Crowns
- Sedation Dentistry
- Biocompatible Dentistry
- Dentistry: Impossible
- Complete Services Listing
See the Difference
- We practice pain-free dentistry. We want you to be comfortable.
- While you may have to put up with dental problems for a while, fixing them does not take a long time. In fact, many times we can complete your entire smile make-over in just one visit!
- Are you afraid to smile? You are not alone – almost 50% of the people around you also feel embarrassed by their teeth.
- We pride ourselves on making not just a smile, but an aesthetically pleasing smile; the one that transforms your appearance and is the exact right smile for you.
- With dental implants you can fully restore your mouth to it's functions: eating anything, smiling and feeling confident in your appearance.
- Missing teeth make it impossible to eat many foods.
Biocompatible Dentistry Frequently Asked Questions
Harmony ~ Balance ~ Beauty
What is Biocompatible Dentistry?
Biocompatible dentists recognize the impact of toxic materials and relate it to dental and physiological health. These dentists are concerned with the integrity of the oral cavity and use materials and procedures in their practices that are systemically compatible.
Is There a Concern About the Use of Mercury in Dentistry?
Many people do not realize that "silver" amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person's body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless, especially considering its cumulative effect.
Is There an Associated Health Risk?
Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products. However, the potential harmful effects of mercury fillings have been ignored by the U.S. Government. Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury had produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in victims of Alzheimer's disease.
Should I Have my Mercury Fillings Removed?
The IAOMT believes you should (unless you are pregnant or lactating). Mercury vapor is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects. Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mothers absorbed during pregnancy. Many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biocompatible dentists. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health.
Should I Take Supplements Prior to Mercury Filling Removal?
Most biocompatible dentists work in conjunction with physicians, who may prescribe supplements prior to the removal of mercury fillings. It is imperative that chronically ill patients seek advice from a physician knowledgeable in mercury toxicity issues.
Is There a Proper Way to Remove Mercury Fillings?
To prevent additional mercury exposure, find a biocompatible dentist properly trained in mercury filling removal. Patients should inquire about the following Amalgam removal protocols:
- Utilizing an efficient suction system in the oral cavity with a special tip or its equivalent to contain amalgam particles and mercury vapor.
- Operating a vacuum system a maximum efficiency.
- Applying copious amounts of water to the filling during removal.
- Removing the amalgam in large segments to minimize the generation of mercury vapor and amalgam particulate.
- Providing the patient and dental staff with a mercury-free source of air.
Where Can I Find a Dentist Trained in These Techniques?
The IAOMT is a group of dentists, physicians and researchers involved in peer-reviewed scientific research, education and the promotion of biocompatible dentistry. The IAOMT encourages the use of biocompatible materials and the development of appropriate protocols to ensure whole-body patient health. The tenets of a good dental practice should be based on peer-reviewed research — not on conventional wisdom. Most importantly, the materials and procedures used in dentistry should not adversely affect the rest of the body.
The IAOMT educates dentists in proper mercury filling removal. Our accreditation program confirms this knowledge and commitment.
An IAOMT Dentist
- Is knowledgeable in modern techniques of proper mercury removal.
- Networks with like-minded professionals to stay current with the latest research.
- Has the opportunity to attend scientific symposia twice annually.
- Works in conjunction with physicians knowledgeable in testing for and detoxifying mercury.
Dr. O'Malley Discusses Biocompatible Health Based Dentistry.
The above is a reprinting of material from the IAOMT, which can be found at http://www.iaomt.org.
Dr Maddahi is an IAOMT trained biocompatible dentist
Please contact our office if you are interested in getting your mercury fillings removed. We will help you get started in the process.
We offer more information about mercury among our white papers.
The characters or beliefs of the scientist are irrelevant; all that matters is whether the evidence supports his contention. Arguments from authority simply do not count; too many authorities have been mistaken too often.
— Carl Sagan, Broca's Brain (1974)
Dr Maddahi is an IAOMT trained biocompatible dentist.